One of the most difficult debates that creative people face involves the combining of traditional advertising and digital media. In the entertainment industry, advertising creative people are in the business of creating promotion, while web designers/producers are in the business of creating content. At CBC, much of our digital output revolves around create sites that are digital “homes” for each of our entertainment/informational programs. Each show page features an interesting mix of promotional and original content. The original content is a kind of “value ad” for fans of the show – things like webisodes, video blogs, wallpapers, links and games, actor bios, past season episodes, blogs etc. While on the 7th floor at the Broadcasting Centre, the art directors and copywriters are finding creative marketing solutions to attract audiences to both the digital and broadcast content. But how do you define what is content and what is promotion? Where is that line in the sand? As a creative director, I come up against this constantly. Isn’t all original content that is value-added material, outside of the original show or series promotion? Or … like the digital folks debate, shouldn’t the definition of promotion lie only in the areas of “packaging” and paid media? It’s an interesting debate. The web producer says, ” I’m building a web page, I have my branding area on the page and that’s my promotional space for the brand – or the packaging. And that’s it. Blogs aren’t promotion – they’re content. Those video “prequel webisodes” that my department created are content. That video game we created is content…” But is it? What do you think?
Visit The Archives
Looking For Something?
- RT @Sue_Sherban: Reeves Way 🌎nothing better than “Country close to the City” #Stouffville #EarthDay2018 https://t.co/s9mIUHs3oi 1 day ago
- Sad for her. twitter.com/crownchronicle… 4 days ago
- Fortunate to have watched some incredible hockey. Proud of our team. The Attack have a lot of heart! twitter.com/ian_boddy/stat… 4 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: This one stings, but what a battle. Congrats to the @OHLHoundPower and good luck in the Western Conference Final. https://t.… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: #TheManChild with a POWER move at 17:13 of the 3rd makes it 8-5 Hancock and Durzi with the assists. PS, we've pulled our g… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: Thank you to everyone who attended tonight's Game 7 viewing party! With your generosity, we were able to help raise $3,100 f… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: #OhCaptainMyCaptain goes coast to coast like butter on toast and rips one past Vilallata to make it 8-4. Mitchell Russell w… 5 days ago
- RT @Suits_USA: Harvey and Louis are coming face-to-face with the truth. Don't miss the last episode of #Suits before the 2-hour season fi… 5 days ago
- RT @Suits_USA: From brilliant paralegal to fierce lawyer, Rachel has proved she is unstoppable. Read more about everything she’s taught us… 5 days ago