I’m sure some of you will remember the 1976 movie “Sybil” about the woman with 16 different personalities. I was thinking about Twitter and ownership … not literally, but within a media company – or any company for that matter large enough to have divisions. There are a lot of people with many differing opinions. Some would say Twitter is strictly an issues management tool – a way to be react to the community at large when criticism is levelled. Others think of Twitter as a Communications tool – a way to reach out to the community – a community drop box if you will for questions and answers. Others are writing books from the PR perspective … it’s a public relations tool and that’s the end of the story. While many think of it as a vast untapped Marketing opportunity. Obviously it’s all of those things. But how are companies assigning ownership of a social media tool that has so many different personalities? Jessica Berlin of the Cirque du Soleil has said that their social media is largely managed by publicity. The massively talked-about Twitter campaign that saw AMC’s “Mad Men” TV show characters come to life walked a fine line between being an accidental publicity stunt and a marketing campaign. At least it demonstrated that you could be creative with 140 characters. Starbucks uses their Twitter account as an issues management tool … quietly patrolling the Twittering community waiting to pounce on any dissatisfied customers with free coffee coupons and “2-way” conversations. Not a bad thing if you’re at the receiving end I suppose.
In my opinion, Twitter is all those things. And it shouldn’t be approached as an entity with just one personality. Anyone writing a social media plan needs to recognize that Twitter is a unique opportunity to eliminate silos in the corporate structure and allow collaboration within corporations. A collaborative approach allows those with specialities in all of the social media areas to work together to make Twitter a better end-user experience.
Visit The Archives
Looking For Something?
- RT @Sue_Sherban: Reeves Way 🌎nothing better than “Country close to the City” #Stouffville #EarthDay2018 https://t.co/s9mIUHs3oi 1 day ago
- Sad for her. twitter.com/crownchronicle… 4 days ago
- Fortunate to have watched some incredible hockey. Proud of our team. The Attack have a lot of heart! twitter.com/ian_boddy/stat… 4 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: This one stings, but what a battle. Congrats to the @OHLHoundPower and good luck in the Western Conference Final. https://t.… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: #TheManChild with a POWER move at 17:13 of the 3rd makes it 8-5 Hancock and Durzi with the assists. PS, we've pulled our g… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: Thank you to everyone who attended tonight's Game 7 viewing party! With your generosity, we were able to help raise $3,100 f… 5 days ago
- RT @AttackOHL: #OhCaptainMyCaptain goes coast to coast like butter on toast and rips one past Vilallata to make it 8-4. Mitchell Russell w… 5 days ago
- RT @Suits_USA: Harvey and Louis are coming face-to-face with the truth. Don't miss the last episode of #Suits before the 2-hour season fi… 5 days ago
- RT @Suits_USA: From brilliant paralegal to fierce lawyer, Rachel has proved she is unstoppable. Read more about everything she’s taught us… 5 days ago