I’m sure some of you will remember the 1976 movie “Sybil” about the woman with 16 different personalities. I was thinking about Twitter and ownership … not literally, but within a media company – or any company for that matter large enough to have divisions. There are a lot of people with many differing opinions. Some would say Twitter is strictly an issues management tool – a way to be react to the community at large when criticism is levelled. Others think of Twitter as a Communications tool – a way to reach out to the community – a community drop box if you will for questions and answers. Others are writing books from the PR perspective … it’s a public relations tool and that’s the end of the story. While many think of it as a vast untapped Marketing opportunity. Obviously it’s all of those things. But how are companies assigning ownership of a social media tool that has so many different personalities? Jessica Berlin of the Cirque du Soleil has said that their social media is largely managed by publicity. The massively talked-about Twitter campaign that saw AMC’s “Mad Men” TV show characters come to life walked a fine line between being an accidental publicity stunt and a marketing campaign. At least it demonstrated that you could be creative with 140 characters. Starbucks uses their Twitter account as an issues management tool … quietly patrolling the Twittering community waiting to pounce on any dissatisfied customers with free coffee coupons and “2-way” conversations. Not a bad thing if you’re at the receiving end I suppose.
In my opinion, Twitter is all those things. And it shouldn’t be approached as an entity with just one personality. Anyone writing a social media plan needs to recognize that Twitter is a unique opportunity to eliminate silos in the corporate structure and allow collaboration within corporations. A collaborative approach allows those with specialities in all of the social media areas to work together to make Twitter a better end-user experience.
Visit The Archives
Looking For Something?
- Is Apple Getting Ready to Buy Disney for $200 Billion? movieweb.com/apple-buying-d… 1 week ago
- RT @Bob_Mayer: Caught up on #theexpanse Great show! As a viewer enjoy it. As writer, impressed with multiple storylines & solid characters… 1 month ago
- RT @SciFiCafe: Another amazing episode @BellevueonCBC! Great job @AnnaPaquin @Allenleech @Shawndoyle #BellevueCBC #BellevueCBCseason2 1 month ago
- Nice concept & design. twitter.com/katherynwinnic… 1 month ago
- RT @HouseofCards: https://t.co/nPCNIpG1Y2 1 month ago
- RT @erikajayne: Today is the day! #DWTS 🌟 https://t.co/5xAwYXnxhG 1 month ago
- RT @GabbyMoloney: The world's most luxurious horse stable in Dubai 😍 https://t.co/sJbKsmjLWK 1 month ago
- RT @Variety: The CW has just renewed #The100 for Season 5 bit.ly/2mufm2k 1 month ago
- RT @erikajayne: Starts with G ends with M. https://t.co/c8CftDDKvJ 1 month ago